To become a serious trader, you need discipline, and the best resources. And more often than not, you’ll be searching all over the place.
What are the best strategies? Where can I learn trading? What laptop should I choose ? Where can I find a backtesting tool ?
Well it’s all here. Here’s the fruit of hundreds of hours of research and practice.
The Complete Guide to the Best Trading Tools.
Let’s get started.
How to start trading step-by-step?
You need to take it one step at a time: learn the basics first, then set your goals, choose a trading style, pick a broker and demo trade. You’re all set.
- How to Start Trading in 2021 : the Complete Step-by-Step Guide
- The Beginner’s Guide to Forex Trading by Investopedia
- The « School of Pipsology » over at Babypips.com
- Investing for Beginners at Annuity.org
- Stock Basics articles from Investopedia
- How to Start Investing by Lendedu.com
What are the Best Trading Laptops in 2021?
You need a light machine, with a bright wide screen, good connectivity and that starts up fast. You could even pick a premium tablet.
- Acer Aspire E15 – the most affordable option
- Apple 13” MacBook Air– a fabulous trading machine
- Asus VivoBook – the best value for money
- Dell XPS 13 – the most portable option
- Microsoft Surface Pro 7 – the best tablet option
And here’s an article on the ideal Day Trading or Gaming Setup if you’re looking for screens, desks, ergonomic chairs, keyboards or a mouse.
What are Some Good Backtesting Tools for your Trading Strategies?
Backtesting tools come in two categories: online portals such as Tradingview or computer software that runs offline. Some brokers also offer great backtesting tools, like Tradestation.
- Forex Tester : a great trading simulator
- TradingView : the best for social shared strategies. You can also code backtesting routines
- MetaTrader 5 Trading Strategy Tester : Test and optimize your trading robot before you use it for real trading
- Metastock D/C : powerful analysis tools for traders
What’s a Good Broker, and how do you find it?
A good broker will keep your funds safe, provide great execution, competitive rates, a powerful charting platform and great training material.
- eToro : good for starters, social trading, cryptos. Very easy to use
- Interactive Brokers : a power machine. Rock-bottom transaction fees. THE best broker
- FXCM : for Forex adepts, with great rates and a powerful platform
- IG : great platform, world leader in CFDs
- TD Ameritrade : great for beginners, with the award winning Thinkorswim platform
What are the Best Free Stock Charting Sites?
To follow your portfolios and trades, lots of free tools are available. Choosing will depend on the markets you follow and the range of tools you require. Screeners, backtesters,…
- TradingView.com : the leading charting platform in the trading world, hard to beat
- Finviz : great for US markets. Fabulous screener
- Stockcharts.com : award winning charting tools
- Marketwatch.com : great on news
- Google Finance : a simple free tool, build your watchlists
- Freestockcharts.com : very elaborate platform, now part of TC2000
- Yahoo Finance : very easy to use and navigate, great for starters
- Trade Ideas : provides a free trading room
How do you Trade the News?
You need a real time news delivery service. In trading they are called Sqawks, online audio feeds that are widely used in banks and hedge funds.
Or you can go with more traditional news sites :
- Bloomberg Markets : delivers authoritative business and market news
- Daily FX : focused on Forex and Commodities
- Seeking Alpha : the largest investing community in the world
- FXStreet.com : includes a great Twitter feed
- Forexfactory : great news calendars, and legendary forums
Where can you find the Best Dividend Stocks or learn Dividend Investing?
A few sites are dedicated to dividend investing. They teach you how to pick stocks with the best dividend quality (yield, regularity, resilience, fundamentals,..)
- Dividend.com is your go to portal
- Dividend investing articles by Investopedia
- Dividend Growth Machine : a great book to supercharge your investment returns
What are Robo-Advisors and why they’re a great way to start Trading?
Robo-advisors are essentially online portfolio managers. They’re great if you’re comfortable with a hands off approach to trading and investing, all from your mobile.
- Betterment: no minimum deposit, excellent mobile app
- Wealthfront: a full range of services for hands-off investors
- Personal Capital: leading financial tools for high net worth individuals
- Ellevest: goal-based investing, targeted at women
Some Powerful Free Trading Platforms help you Chart Offline
If you want to practice during the week-end or setup your charts, some offline platforms are great tools with limitless functionalities.
- Metatrader 4 (MT4) : a fantastic free of charge forex trading platform
- Prorealtime : probably one of the most impressive platforms, integrates with leading brokers
Get educated with the best trading books
Reading books is by far one of the cheapest and most efficient way to learn and grow as a trader.
- The Top 10 Day Trading Books
- The Top 12 Investment Books for Beginners
- The Best Options Trading Books
- The Top Rated Personal Finance Books
How can you Track your Stock Portfolio’s Performance?
You need a platform that tracks and calculates your performance, giving you valuable insights on your risk levels, trade history,…
- Personal Capital
- Morningstar’s Portfolio Manager
- MarketWatch Portfolios
- SigFig Portfolio Tracker
- Active Portfolio app from Mobile Interactive
My Favorite books
- Trading with Ichimoku by Karen Peloille
- How to Day Trade for a Living by Andrew Aziz
- How to Make Money in Stocks by William J. O’Neil
- The Little Book that Still Beats the Market by Joel Greenblatt
- Market Wizards by Jack D. Schwager
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle
Paid Investment Research Services
My Trading Strategies
- My Long Term Bitcoin Strategy
- My 15min per day Simple Ichimoku Strategy
- Finding a Scalping Strategy that works
Find the best and safest exchanges to buy and trade cryptos.
- The Top Cryptocurrency Exchanges for buying Bitcoin or Altcoins
- The Coinigy platform
- Coinbase: you get a 10$ bonus if you sign up from here
Cryptocurrency News and Market Data
Stay up to date with the latest crypto news. New coins, Bitcoin news, ICOs, halvings, bitcoin mining news,…